Information on reporting rape to the SAPS
Here is the usual procedure to follow if you want to make a case because someone has raped you:
1. You can go to the nearest police station. You can take someone with you that you trust if you want to.
2. Tell the person at the front desk you want to report a rape case.
3. You should be taken to a private room where a volunteer will be available to support you and explain the procedures in a private room away from the charge office. You can take someone with you that you trust if you want to.
4. A policewoman will take a brief statement in that private room but sometimes, because there are fewer women in the SAPS, women are not available and a male officer will take your statement. Your statement is a description in your words of what happened in as much detail as possible. The case now officially belongs to the Family, Child and Sexual Offences Unit (FCS Unit) who will send a detective to take on the docket. They are separate police units that specialise in investigating rape cases.
6. You can then go home but may be called in again by the FCS Unit detective for a more detailed statement at some point.
7. The perpetrator will then be arrested.
8. If you live together in the same house he will not be granted bail and will remain in prison until the end of his trial, which could take several years to conclude. If not he will have to undergo a bail hearing and released having paid a sum of money to adequately ensure that he will appear for trial at a later stage. A date for the trial will then be set.
9. The FCS Unit detectives will interview everyone concerned as part of their investigation including anyone who has information concerning the rape and most importantly the very first person you told.
This is a very brief outline of what should happen but things don't always turn out that way. As an organisation we can prepare you for what you can expect at every step of the way and support you through the process, which can be very long, difficult and traumatic.